The tradition of eating pancakes on Shrove Tuesday originated in Britain in the 16th century, when Christians wanted to use up all the high fat food stores, before fasting for lent.
Today we carry on the tradition of feasting on pancakes, eating about 117 million pancakes across the UK on pancake day! This requires:
But traditional recipes using milk, flour and eggs come in at around 80 calories per pancake, and, depending on the indulgent toppings you choose (like chocolate spread, sugar and ice cream) and how many pancakes you eat – research has shown you could consume an additional 1365 calories on Pancake Day!
But, BeeZee Pancake lovers, fear not! We have a banana pancake recipe for you, counting only 44 calories per pancake. Top up with delicious fresh berries, fat-free yoghurt or a light drizzle of honey for a healthier way to enjoy Pancake Day.
Optional healthy toppings:
It’s all in the toppings! If you’re looking to make healthier choices, avoid things like chocolate spread, sugar, ice cream, squirty cream, chocolate sprinkles and instead opt for:
1. Mash the banana in a bowl with a fork until it resembles a thick puree.
2. Stir the rest of the ingredients into the bowl. For a smoother batter you could blitz the ingredients together with a food processor.
3. Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat and spray with some spray oil.
4. Spoon some pancake mix into the pan, cook for 1-2 minutes on each side (don’t forget to flip!), then tip onto a plate.
5. Repeat the process with the remaining batter.
6. Add the toppings of your choice and enjoy!
This recipe makes 6 pancakes. Each pancake (without toppings) contains:
ENERGY 44 kcal
SAT FAT 0.1g
Please register your interest below and we’ll get in touch when we offer services in your area.