Mieliepap is a South African breakfast similar to porridge, but made from maize meal instead of oats.
The ‘pap’ itself can be flavoured in any way (sweet or savoury) and is in South Africa is often served with braised meat and tomato relish, kind of like mashed potato!
But served with fruit and a maple butter sauce it makes a delicious way to start your day!
Ingredients for 4 portions:
· 200g cornmeal
· 250ml semi-skimmed milk
· 150ml water
· 600g of berries (you can use any fruits of your choice – fresh or frozen)
For the maple butter sauce:
· 50ml of maple syrup
· 40g of unsalted butter
1. Add cornmeal and water to the pot and bring to boil while stirring
2. Keep it on low heat and stir until smooth
3. Add milk and stir for another few minutes until it thickens
4. Take off the heat and let it rest for few minutes
For the maple butter sauce (you can prepare it in advance):
1. In a small saucepan heat up maple syrup until it starts bubbling
2. Remove it from the heat once it starts to bubble
3. Add butter and mix gently
4. Set aside until it cools down
Serve your mealie pap porridge with a drizzle of maple butter sauce and fresh berries!
Please register your interest below and we’ll get in touch when we offer services in your area.