Hi! I’m Teri and I’ve been luckily enough to get a volunteer experience at BeeZee Families, and of course I’ve been roped into writing a blog about my experience…so here it goes!
I have been volunteering on the programme since March and helping out in the office over the past couple of weeks. The BeeZee family have treated me so well and took me under their wing since I’ve been here, letting me look into what they usually get up to in a day. When I arrived I got given a jam-packed timetable of what I’d be getting up to, and I have to admit I was nervous how it was all going to fit in! In my super busy schedule I’ve been travelling around the community advertising for the new programmes, visiting schools, enjoying workplace physical activity walks, going to events out in the community and running our smoothie bike. It’s been a pretty fun few weeks!
So in between all the office work and activities, here are my top 10 things that I have learned from working at BeeZee Bodies!
- The Beezee staff put in so much effort prepping for programme
- Going to events and working in the community is a huge part of the job
- There’s loads of office work behind the scenes (which is less fun but super important)
- It’s important to be confident in what you know – don’t be shy!
- It’s okay to ask for help
- Team meetings are actually quite fun
- Tea + coffee = happy BZ Bodies staff
- Even nutritionists and sports coaches enjoy cake as a treat
- Having dogs about in the office is amazing!
- And lastly (but definitely not least) the staff here are truly wonderful people
Overall, this has been a great experience and I’ve learnt so much being here (both academically and personally). I will miss seeing everyone when I leave, even though I’m sure I’ll be back soon to pester them. Thanks so much for having me!