Val Stones – I am sure many of you probably hadn’t heard of her until a few weeks ago….I know I hadn’t. But since the return of the Great British Bake off I have found my own Star Baker. Why I hear you ask, is it her motherly charm, her caring ways? No, I actually quite like her ability to fail rather spectacularly at baking tasks. But the best bit? She always does it in style and with a smile on her face. Her comic one liners and ability to look on the bright side of all situations makes her a bake off hero.
For it only being week 4 of GBBO we have already had several hilarious Val moments but here are my current favourites quotes so far:
- Her sheer delight at getting to watch her Yorkshire puddings rising – “I’m going to chill out for a minute and sit down and watch my Yorkshires rise”
This was quickly followed by….
- ‘They’re not going to allow me into Yorkshire ever again.’ after her puddings were disastrous to say the least – poor Val.
- And we have been very lucky Val as brought to the nation a new past time: ‘I listen to my cakes and they’re not ready. They sing! And they say “Not ready! Not ready!”‘ Surely this is a craze that will soon sweep the nation.
- Her description of her laced pancakes ‘they’re very Jackson Pollock.’ Unfortunately this wasn’t the style they were going for – nice try anyway Val.
- Her explanation for why her she only made one bread elephant and not two – ‘they’ve argued’ makes sense really who needs two elephants for Noahs Ark anyways!
All in all I love Val – she’s my favourite (she loves listening to Ed Sheeran – so cool). Not only is she hilarious but she is awesome at showing us how failure is a natural part of life. She is learning and growing from this experience, similarly as many of us do when we make healthy changes in our lives – its not an easy journey but it is worth it. Lets hope she makes it to the Bake off final- although judging from some of her bakes so far this may be a bit of a challenge
Images courtesy of GBBO