Today is one of BeeZee Bodies favourite and long awaited days… Pancake Day! We love nothing more than cooking some delicious pancakes and adding our favourite (heathy) toppings.
Pancake Day (or Shrove Tuesday) is the day before Lent which marks 40 days leading up to Easter. The practice of making pancakes came about to mark the last day of people “gorging” themselves. Of course it is also as a fantastic day where we all get to have lots of fun trying to flip our pancakes without dropping them!
In households up and down the country there’s fierce debate over the best topping; lemon juice and sugar, Nutella, golden syrup (or maple syrup for our Canadian loving friends), fresh fruit and yoghurt etc. This list goes on and the possibilities are seemingly endless, however generally the toppings all tend to be high in one thing… sugar! While it’s great to allow ourselves the occasional treat we should perhaps think about limiting the amount of pancakes we have and which toppings we choose.
Here are some of the BeeZee staff’s favourite healthy options to get you inspired:
- Pancakes with plain low fat yoghurt and mixed berries
- Pancakes with blueberries and a small glug of maple syrup
- Pancakes with sliced banana and grated dark chocolate
- Pancakes with tinned fruit and plain low fat yoghurt
- Pancakes with scrambled egg and a bacon medallion
- Pancakes with wilted spinach and mushrooms and a dollop of low fat cream cheese
Let us know if you tried any of our pancake ideas, we’d love to hear from you! Even if you couldn’t tear yourself away from your old favourite…